[Air-l] The death of chat?

Rik Lambers lambers at jur.uva.nl
Thu Sep 25 04:42:20 PDT 2003

Hey!

In Holland the official reasons given for closing down MSN's chat are the
proliferation of spam, porn and paedophilia. Microsoft's strategy to make
their Internet division profitable is also mentioned as a reason for the
closure, likely being the main one.
There's quite some news coverage, though in general the closing isn't seen
as a very big deal. There are several other chat services, which are more
popular, especially amongst the youth. To control the content on those
services one often has to provide an ID, which puts an end to the anonymity
of the user. This will also the case for the ("future") paid service in the
US, Japan and Canada. Identidication of users, taking away their anonymity
by technical or legal measures, is (becoming) one of the main tools of
(speech)-control on the net. The US First Amendment, by the way, does
protect pornography. Child pornograpy is excluded, on its own and as a form
of obscenity, which is overall excluded from protection. The line between
pornography and obscenity can be hard to make, as shown by past litigation.
To draw a  line between the two has a cultural basis anyway, and to call
pornographers a pest is a personal, and not a legal qualification.

Rik Lambers