[Air-l] Seminal papers in online interaction research

David Wiley dw2 at opencontent.org
Tue Apr 27 15:20:31 PDT 2004

Everyone,

Please excuse a little context setting before I get to my question
below. =)  I'm teaching an introductory "culture of interaction on the
net" course in the fall. I'm trying to build the course around a few
seminal readings for each technology family, followed by several hours
of student interaction with real people in the environments. I've broken
out my topics areas like so -

_Asynch Environments_
Listservs
Newsgroups
Web-boards
Fan fiction groups
Blogs

_Synch Environments_
MUD/MOO
IRC
IM
MMPORG

Basically students would spend 3 hours reading about each topic and 6
hours out actually interacting in the environments, with the exception
of blogs (which they will be using all semester to publish weekly
reflection pieces) and the massively multiplayer games, which we will
spend two weeks on. In their reflective pieces students will be applying
what they've learned to the field of Instructional Technology, and
looking for ways to improve online education -- not by using the
technologies -- but by leveraging what they learn about the cultures of
use of the technologies.

SO, I'm writing to ask list members for pointers to seminal articles
about each of the above technology families. Maybe some of you have
taught similar classes, or have written these papers yourselves? As a
carrot back to group members (if needed), the course materials I'm
developing will be open sourced (Creative Commons) and available for use
later this summer. For this reason, papers available online would be
preferred if available.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the design of the
course or readings I should use. Please reply directly if you don't feel
this would be of interest to other list members,