[Air-l] Kerry campaign condemns blogger's Fallujah remarks!

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Mon Apr 5 23:42:10 PDT 2004

> Help me out with this post...
> Are you looking for a political reponse from AOIR?
> Are you asking for participation in Kerry's blog? the Daily Kos?
>
> Am I missing something?

I'd like to see an empirical analysis and objective study of
the limitations of so-called Internet "freedom." In other
words, instead of talking about cyberspace and it's wonders
in the utopian abstract, the post was designed to elicit
some potential thoughts and ideas on the need to map out
just how bound by the real world the Internet is, especially
in regards to issues like freedom of speech and expression.
In particular, while there has been prior research done that
looks at so-called totalitarian and dictatorial societies
like China, I'm curious to see how Herman and Chomsky's
theories regarding the Manufacture of Consent in so-called
Democratic countries like the United States play out in
cyberspace and how that intersects with traditional
broadcast and print media. In the U.S., which is more
prevalent: governmental, corporate, or individual censorship
of unpopular voices on the net? Stuff like that. That's
imprecise and I'm rambling, but I think you get the point.
If someone's done these type of in-depth studies already,
please point me to them.

I'm not an academic, so I depend on you highly trained folks
to do this work for me, so that I can then go out and apply
it to my activism and advocacy work.

Thank you.

Art