[Air-l] the september project: invitation to get involved

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 14 09:07:55 PDT 2004

i respect and appreciate the comments of maximilian and gina.  thank you.

what we trying to do is, as both suggested, break the silence that
surrounds 9-11, especially here in the states.  we are non-partisan.  any
individuals, organizations, and folks with a particular platform are
encouraged to get involved.  as we ask is that they try to work through
their local libraries, ensure that the events are public, and try their
hardest to make sure that the events are free.

we are trying to do two things.  first, facilitate as many and as diverse
voices as possible to speak up on september 11th to talk about issues that
matter -- like democracy, justice (thanks alex halavais), and citizenship.
second, we believe that these voices must be public and collective.  in
other words: break silence.  encourage voices.  encourage public and
collective voices.  we are working with the assumption that bringing
folks together, publicly and collectively, is a good thing.

our initial focus is the US.  this is where we live and we believe this is
especially important for the citizens of the US.  but -- important -- all
we can do is suggest ways to make this happen and we fully expect the
citizens of one town to design one set of speakers and events and citizens
in other town pursue a completely different set of questions and topics.
we believe that local events should reflect the interests and concerns of
local citizens. that's what local democracy and civic engagement is all
about.  we are suggesting the idea; it's up to local citizens, libraries,
and organizations to decide how best to engage one another.

regarding maximilian's excellent questions: we completely believe that the
september project can, should, and will become international but only if
folks from around the world take up the project and tailor it to their own
communities.  question: what will such a day look like in chile, who had
their own 9-11 over 30 years ago, in 1973?  question: what will such a day
look like in spain, whose citizens, on september 11th, will reflect upon
the six month anniversary of march 11th?  what will folks do on september
11th in AMSTERDAM?  in HONG KONG?  in CHIAPAS?  in PARIS and ROME?  in
CANADA and the UK?  in AUSTRALIA?

the only reason this project is doable is INFRASTRUCTURE.  the only way it
will succeed in any way that matters is through NETWORKS.  but i don't
have time to detail this on the list but i will shortly.

thank you for the comments.  i hope others have additional ones and will
voice them publicly on the list.  david