[Air-l] Re: Disability

Matthew J Eliot mjeliot at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 11 15:08:52 PDT 2004

> I am looking for information, websites, technologies,
> studies etc on disability issue in the context of new
> technologies.  I would be grateful if you could
> provide me leads.

Howdy,

It would be great to know if you have a specific context in mind, but here
are a  few more resources on disability and new technology:

1)  Digital disability : the social construction of disability in new media
/ Gerard Goggin and Christopher Newell.  Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield,
c2003

2)  Science and the Disadvantaged / Gregor Wolbring. Available at:
http://www.edmonds-institute.org/wolbring.html

3)  The Web Accessibility Initiative Homepage:  http://www.w3.org/WAI/

4)  Microsoft's accessibility site: http://www.microsoft.com/enable/

5)  The Pew Internet and American Life Project has information on disability
and technology sprinkled through several of their reports:
http://www.pewinternet.org/index.asp

6) The UW's DO-IT site has info on accessible technologies and education:
http://www.washington.edu/doit/

7) If you have access to the ACM digital library, you can peruse the SIGCAPH
site (Special Interest Group on Computers and the Physically Handicapped)
at: http://www.acm.org/sigcaph/  or the SIGCHI's special interest group on
universal usability (CUU) at: http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigchi/cuu/.

Ciao,