[Air-l] Thoughts wanted on online grief-community...

ren at aldermangroup.com ren at aldermangroup.com
Sun Apr 18 07:13:21 PDT 2004

There is a long history of memorialisaion in Virtual Worlds.
Many VWs are game spaces where player-character and non-
player character death is a central part of the game. But
given the size and longevity of these communities it is
enviable that players die also. This raises the debate about
whether a real life death should be memorialised in a
fictive space, something that the VW community is divided
about.

Probably the most discussed case is that of Karyn in the VW
LegendMUD. Here someone created the character of a player
Karyn; that played a character in the VW – became an
important person in the community, made strong friendships
with people around the world etc. The person then ‘killed’
Karyn, not simply by stopping playing the game but creating
an announcement supposedly from Karyn’s parents, linking the
death to a supposed actual car crash etc.

The initial reaction (when Karyn was supposed to be an
actual person) is most eloquently summed up in Raph Koster’s
piece About a Tree: www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/essay1.html

A few years later the documentary filmmaker started to
investigate the incident and revealed that it was a hoax:
www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/04/14/who_killed_miss_norway/
index_np.html

Which sparked a long second round of discussion on the mail
list MUD-DEV:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2003Q2/msg00085.php

The two levels of argument are:
- if Karyn was a real person, is it right to create a
memorial in a Virtual Space, especially one that is fictive.
- If Karyn was not a real person, is it right..

Many people argue yes to both on the grounds the community
suffered a loss and as this was a genuine feeling in the
community then it is fitting to create a memorial.

While this is a complex case as it deals with issues such as
the identity of people and spaces, I think that it
highlights a lot of factors that come into play when we look
at memorials in virtual spaces such as VWs or Web sites.
Also of course as VWs grow in popularity and complexity the
type of memorial that can be created gets ever more
sophisticated.

There are of course many examples of VWs where people have
died IRL and there have been elaborate funeral celebrations
etc.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
terranova.blogs.com

PS not sure of the quality of this piece, but there are
quite a few links:
http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/sociosite/websoc/death.html

PPS I wrote a very short thing on TerraNova about VWs /
Games as sacred spaces:
http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2004/03/sacred_spaces.h
tml