[Air-l] sociocybernetic media studies

arpo at cc.joensuu.fi arpo at cc.joensuu.fi
Tue Aug 3 06:10:40 PDT 2004

Hi Jespert,

I´ve had same kind of experiences from few occasions when I´ve tried to explain
the importance of applying Luhmann´s theories in Internet research ;-)
Thank´s for the briefing about Lisbon conference.

Robert

Robert Arpo
Researcher
Arts Council of Finland

Lainaus jespert <jespert at itu.dk>:

> Dear All!
>
> I have just returned home from the 5th international conference of
> sociocybernetics in Lisbon. It was a very successful conference
> academically, socially and culturally  here I will comment on the
> academic part and only on papers with regard to media studies using
> Luhmann. I do this to inform you about the existence of a field of media
> studies that I suppose that only few of you are familiar with  for
> example did I not have my paper accepted to the AIR-conference because
> the reviewers obviously did not understand it. All the papers will
> appear on the ISA RC 51 homepage in the future.
>
> The papers will be described in random order:
>
> Rudi Laermans, had a paper called:
Media, Morality and Contemporary
> World Society: A Critical Appraisal of Niklas Luhmanns Systems
> Theoretical View
. It gives a knowledgeable resume of Luhmanns theory of
> Mass Media. Rudi is critical regarding Luhmanns claim that the code of
> Mass Media is information /non-information and put forward the idea that
> the code could be attention and non-attention. Another idea is that
> Luhmanns clime, that Mass Media screen out the usual or the everyday
> should be nuanced in spied of the so-called reality television, which in
> most cases is
daily life television
.

> Juan Miguel Aguado builds on Luhmann in his presentation:
Mass Media,
> Spectacle and Modernity: From Meta-Experiential Narratives to Artificial
> Input Environments
 The paper argues that the media system introduces
> both experience and identity into market dynamics. On the basis of their
> functional segmentation from both technology and economy, mass media
> emerge as a social subsystem that operates uncertainty absorption by
> means of transforming individual and social experiential frames into
> meta-experiences. The media system implements the interest/non interest
> organizational code that specifically involves the re-entry of the code
> in both actor systems and social systems (the former, in terms of
> experiential events as interactions; the latter, in terms of commercial
> events as interactions). The communication pattern emerging from such
> transformation can be outlined under the concept of spectacle, which
> Miguel elaborates on.
>
> Søren Brier had some interesting remarks with reference to Luhmanns
> theory on Mass Media in his presentation:
Ficta: The New Scientific
> Novel
. Søren said that
Ficta
 which he defines as a new mode or type
> of science popularisation e.g. the works of Michael Crichton and Greg
> Egan. In a societal perspective this is one out of many examples on how
> we as scientist has to find new ways to communicate to fit in to the
> framework set by the mass media under pressure from politicians.
>
> Giulia Caramaschi presented a paper called:
Observing The Digital
> Divide: Technological Communication and the Semantics of World-Society
.
> The paper claims that definitions of
Information Society
 and
Digital
> Divide
 can be considered as guidelines that society adopts to observe
> it self and direct its operations recursively. The Digital Divide, is
> seen as building at a semantic level, and becomes a parameter through
> which society describes its boundaries: access or non-access to
> technology outlines the criteria of inclusion and exclusion qualifying
> the structure of society.
>
> Vessela Misheva presented a paper called:
The Social Function of the
> System of The Mass Media
. Vessela claims that Mass Media as described
> by Luhmann cannot be seen as a function system! The reason is that
> unlike all other systems, which have institutionalized permanent social
> roles that presuppose uninterrupted and continuous production processes,
> the system of the mass media has institutionalized what Goffman termed

a discrepant social role.
 According to Vessela, in principle,
> discrepant social roles cannot support the emergence of an entirely new
> social system. The latter becomes possible only when the discrepant role
> becomes modified and is transformed into a permanent role. Vessela put
> forward the idea that an additional social role can be assigned to the
> mass media, namely, that of
conflict-management.

> Michael Paetau presented a paper called:
Information Technology and The
> Long-Term Memory of Society
. This paper asks: How it is possible to
> make knowledge which is generated in separate contexts, in specific
> localities, and bound to specific actors, available to the system as a
> whole? And analyses successful transformation of knowledge as coupled to
> three conditions: first, to a condensation of social experience and its
> decontextualized sedimentation in a suitable storage media; second, to
> the effective transfer of this sediment respecting factual, spatial,
> temporal, and social aspects; third, to the (re-)actualization of the
> knowledge sediments in practical problem-solving situations, which
> commonly differ from the original knowledge generation context.
>
> My own presentation (Jesper Taekke) was called:
Usenet Newsgroups as
> Mediated Communication Systems
 But was mostly in the oral presentation
> about the theory that I am building on: