[Air-l] digital media in academia

Ed Lamoureux ell at bradley.edu
Wed Aug 4 06:16:22 PDT 2004

The term "digital media" is real contested in American academic circles.

I doubt that there are very many Radio/Television folk (esp. the TVers)
who think/feel that they are doing anything BUT digital media. And many
of the journalists are not far behind. So most of the folks in "mass
media" probably feel as though they are in digital media.

Someone shifted the question about digital media to answers about
internet studies. I know that this is an internet researchers list .  .
. but I suspect that few in COM/Mass media departments in America would
even think about internet studies as being at the center of digital
media, let alone constrain digital media to internet orientations.

There are a few of us in programs targeted toward new media/multimedia
. . . but again, we are a very small number at the undergraduate level.

And of course, "digital media" encompasses (to name only a few) LOTS of
folks in "interactive" computer science, engineering, and Art programs
(esp. at graduate levels).

In short, I don't think it's possible to accurately categorize "digital
media" programs or classes without producing a list almost as long as
(virtually) all of the schools in the country with COM/ART/CS/ENGIN
program. The studies are very interdisciplinary.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Director, Multimedia Program and New Media Center
Associate Professor, Speech Communication
1501 W. Bradley
Bradley University
Peoria IL  61625
309-677-2378