Re(2): [Air-l] Research on identity communication in online communities

Jonathan Robin jonathanrobin at messagerie.net
Thu Aug 26 15:03:23 PDT 2004

Good Evening ...

IMHO although research into the use of pseudonyms online is doubtless
facilitated by the various online options available, I feel with respect
that this is not strictu sensu an online phenomenon.

In France, where the Minitel was flourishing over 15 years ago, virtual
communication was commonplace and fairly revealing.

What MAY BE worthy of attention is that, unlike anglo saxon common law
traditions, outside the arts and writers in the wide sense of the term,
the use of a pseudonym runs very much counter to established legal
tradition, notably that based upon the Napoleonic code.

Thus the way in which the continental pseudos are evolving is interesting.

There is another point that may be worthy of attention.  In several cases
pseudonyms are used because the nominative email is not available or has
been taken by someone else so John Smith MUST resort to pseudonyms. This
shows as much the structural influence of current Internet environment as
any precise predeliction.

With IPv6 however, much may change, notably with the use of visuals rather
than a written sobriquet.

my 2 cents

regards Jonathan