[Air-l] Research on identity communication in online communities

jespert jespert at itu.dk
Thu Aug 26 15:35:18 PDT 2004

Dear Jessie

Goffman is used in many studies and have been reworked into new
frameworks e.g. Meyrowitz and his
No sense of space
 but is also used
in studies of Usenet Newsgroups reat this one:

Judith S. Donath 1998. Identity and Deception in the Virtual Community
Prepared for: Kollock, P. and Smith M. (eds). Communities in Cyberspace.
London: Routledge.
http://smg.media.mit.edu/people/Judith/Identity/IdentityDeception.html

But there are also studies of Nicks in IRC try these:

Bechar-Israeli, H. 1995. From (Bonehead) to (cLoNehEAd): Nicknames, play
and identity on Internet relay chat. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication [On-line], 1 (2).
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol1/issue2/bechar.html

Danet, Brenda 2002b: "Play, Art and Ritual on IRC (Internet Relay
Chat)
, in pre-publication version. An abridged version was presented at
the Third Annual Meeting, Association of Internet Researchers,
Maastricht, the Netherlands, October, 2002.
http://atar.mscc.huji.ac.il/~msdanet/papers/ritplay.pdf

Also Turkle and Gergen has something to say about identity, but if you
realy want to make some work about the social construction of identity
you could read some of NIKlas Luhmanns work

Best Regards
Jesper Tække