[Air-l] DARPA

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 13 17:00:56 PDT 2004

A quick follow-up:
Many of the interviews Abbate used are available from the Babbage
Institute at University of Minnesota, http://www.cbi.umn.edu/oh/

2 other books of interest:
- Alex Roland, Strategic Computing: DARPA and the Quest for Machine
Intelligence, 1983-1993 (The MIT Press 2002)
- Arthur Norberg and Judy O'Neill, Transforming Computer Technology:
Information Processing for the Pentagon, 1962-1986 (JHU Press, 2000) -
This book was the final product of the project that yielded the
interviews I mentioned above.

Both books are very good, and obviously both deal with computing in
ARPA/DARPA.  DARPA did (and still does) much more than computing, but I
can't think of any references off the top of my head - Roland's book is
more recent and hence might have citations to non-computing research.
Or you might contact Roland himself (he is at Duke), by all accounts he
is quite friendly.

Best wishes,

Andy Russell
History of Science and Technology