[Air-l] CFP: Representations of Digital Identity (CSCW Workshop)

aoir.z3z at danah.org aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Aug 16 15:48:49 PDT 2004

Representations of Digital Identity
URL :: http://sims.berkeley.edu/~dmb/cscw2004-identity/

CSCW Workshop: Saturday November 6, 2004 - Chicago
Position Paper Deadline: September 20, 2004 -
cscw04-identity at googlegroups.com

Organizers:
- danah boyd :: http://www.danah.org/
- Michele Chang :: http://www.intel.com/research/people/bios/chang_m.htm
- Elizabeth Goodman :: http://www.confectious.net/

The human body operates as a rich site for information. As we pass through
the world, we give off information about cultural identity (ethnicity,
sex, age, etc), social class, individual personality (through dress or
physical alterations) and psychological state (through movement and tone
of voice). These cues help others determine the appropriate modes of
interaction with us. In computer-mediated communication (CMC), the
performance of identity occurs not through direct experience of the body
but within the constraints of digital representations constructed by
interactive systems.

This workshop will address the many ways by which online presentations of
self have been  and could be  constructed. In the absence of the body as a
source of accountability and social legibility, individuals project a
sense of self through multiple layers of mediation, including email
addresses, graphic avatars, "friend lists," and results from search
engines. How can we use the body in a mediated world? Or alternately, how
can we promote rich modes of interaction that do not rely on the illusion
of physical presence?

Moving from current practices to future scenarios, the workshop will use a
design exercise to produce a conceptual framework promoting
accountability, expression, and trust in online interactions. We invite
contributions from researchers exploring social aspects of CMC, including,
but not limited to: blogging, gaming, online dating, mobile and ubiquitous
social devices. Furthermore, researchers interested in reputation, trust,
privacy and vulnerability; social networks, identity, persistent
conversations, and context are encouraged to apply.

Participants will be selected based on demonstrable interest in the topic,
as seen through position papers submitted prior to the workshop.

Proposals should consist of
- A sketch, design, or other constructed representation of digital
identity; alternatively, a collage of existing representations of digital
identity
- A 1-page discussion of the critical issues considered in this
representation and the process of producing it.
- A 1-page discussion of background, interests, current work and
motivation for participating in this workshop

Acceptable submission formats include: Word, PDF, HTML, Flash, Quicktime,
etc.

Contact organizers if you are concerned about the submission format: danah
boyd, Michele Chang, Elizabeth Goodman (cscw04-identity at googlegroups.com)