[Air-l] What's Kansas City doing on 9/11?

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 29 20:23:22 PDT 2004

Friends,

I am passing along information about events that will take place in Kansas City on Saturday, September 11.  Anyone living in or near Kansas City should totally go!  I believe the events represent the best in public scholarship.

The reason I am posting this to a list devoted to internet studies is this: about 95% of all coordination of The September Project exists via the internet.

The events (below) are organized in large part by my friend and colleague, George Williams, an assistant professor of English at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.  George's blog: http://ghw.wordherders.net  To find an event near you, please visit http://www.com.washington.edu/september/map.asp

david

***

On September 11, 2004, people from all over Kansas City will share and discuss their ideas about citizenship, democracy, and patriotism.

At the University of Missouri-Kansas City (call 816-235-2559 for more information).

Open forum & Bring-your-own-picnic, 11-2
University Playhouse (51st & Holmes)
Come have your say, listen to speakers, singers, poets. Bring a picnic lunch and have a conversation on the grass.

Roundtable Discussion, 2-3:30
Oak Street Residence Hall
Professors, students, and community members will discuss "Civic Responsibility in Light of September 11."

Voter Registration
Miller Nichols Library
Exercise your right: register to vote.

Johnson County Public Libraries (call 913-495-7514 for more information).

The Continental Soldier, 10-11 a.m.
Antioch Library, 8700 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Merriam, KS
Storyteller Mark Armato brings to life the soul of an army soldier facing the discontents of war.

Patriots and Poets, 12-1 p.m.
Lackman Library, 15345 W. 87th St, Lenexa, KS
Kansas City Star book editor and poet, John Mark Eberhart will read several poems celebrating freedom and democracy and mourning the losses of war.

Patriots and Poets, 2-3 p.m.
Central Resource Library, 9875 W. 87th St, Overland Park, KS
John Mark Eberhart will read several poems celebrating freedom and democracy and mourning the losses of war.

The September Project is a collection of people, groups, and organizations working to create a day of engagement, a day of conversation, a day of democracy.

The September Project is for all people.

To learn more:
http://www.theseptemberproject.org

Contact George Williams at williamsgh[at]umkc[dot]edu