[Air-l] sociocybernetic media studies

jespert jespert at itu.dk
Tue Aug 3 04:35:42 PDT 2004

Dear All!

I have just returned home from the 5th international conference of
sociocybernetics in Lisbon. It was a very successful conference
academically, socially and culturally  here I will comment on the
academic part and only on papers with regard to media studies using
Luhmann. I do this to inform you about the existence of a field of media
studies that I suppose that only few of you are familiar with  for
example did I not have my paper accepted to the AIR-conference because
the reviewers obviously did not understand it. All the papers will
appear on the ISA RC 51 homepage in the future.

The papers will be described in random order:

Rudi Laermans, had a paper called:
Media, Morality and Contemporary
World Society: A Critical Appraisal of Niklas Luhmanns Systems
Theoretical View
. It gives a knowledgeable resume of Luhmanns theory of
Mass Media. Rudi is critical regarding Luhmanns claim that the code of
Mass Media is information /non-information and put forward the idea that
the code could be attention and non-attention. Another idea is that
Luhmanns clime, that Mass Media screen out the usual or the everyday
should be nuanced in spied of the so-called reality television, which in
most cases is
daily life television
.

Juan Miguel Aguado builds on Luhmann in his presentation:
Mass Media,
Spectacle and Modernity: From Meta-Experiential Narratives to Artificial
Input Environments
 The paper argues that the media system introduces
both experience and identity into market dynamics. On the basis of their
functional segmentation from both technology and economy, mass media
emerge as a social subsystem that operates uncertainty absorption by
means of transforming individual and social experiential frames into
meta-experiences. The media system implements the interest/non interest
organizational code that specifically involves the re-entry of the code
in both actor systems and social systems (the former, in terms of
experiential events as interactions; the latter, in terms of commercial
events as interactions). The communication pattern emerging from such
transformation can be outlined under the concept of spectacle, which
Miguel elaborates on.

Søren Brier had some interesting remarks with reference to Luhmanns
theory on Mass Media in his presentation:
Ficta: The New Scientific
Novel
. Søren said that
Ficta
 which he defines as a new mode or type
of science popularisation e.g. the works of Michael Crichton and Greg
Egan. In a societal perspective this is one out of many examples on how
we as scientist has to find new ways to communicate to fit in to the
framework set by the mass media under pressure from politicians.

Giulia Caramaschi presented a paper called:
Observing The Digital
Divide: Technological Communication and the Semantics of World-Society
.
The paper claims that definitions of
Information Society
 and
Digital
Divide
 can be considered as guidelines that society adopts to observe
it self and direct its operations recursively. The Digital Divide, is
seen as building at a semantic level, and becomes a parameter through
which society describes its boundaries: access or non-access to
technology outlines the criteria of inclusion and exclusion qualifying
the structure of society.

Vessela Misheva presented a paper called:
The Social Function of the
System of The Mass Media
. Vessela claims that Mass Media as described
by Luhmann cannot be seen as a function system! The reason is that
unlike all other systems, which have institutionalized permanent social
roles that presuppose uninterrupted and continuous production processes,
the system of the mass media has institutionalized what Goffman termed

a discrepant social role.
 According to Vessela, in principle,
discrepant social roles cannot support the emergence of an entirely new
social system. The latter becomes possible only when the discrepant role
becomes modified and is transformed into a permanent role. Vessela put
forward the idea that an additional social role can be assigned to the
mass media, namely, that of
conflict-management.

Michael Paetau presented a paper called:
Information Technology and The
Long-Term Memory of Society
. This paper asks: How it is possible to
make knowledge which is generated in separate contexts, in specific
localities, and bound to specific actors, available to the system as a
whole? And analyses successful transformation of knowledge as coupled to
three conditions: first, to a condensation of social experience and its
decontextualized sedimentation in a suitable storage media; second, to
the effective transfer of this sediment respecting factual, spatial,
temporal, and social aspects; third, to the (re-)actualization of the
knowledge sediments in practical problem-solving situations, which
commonly differ from the original knowledge generation context.

My own presentation (Jesper Taekke) was called:
Usenet Newsgroups as
Mediated Communication Systems
 But was mostly in the oral presentation
about the theory that I am building on:
The Media Sociography
 My claim
is that we can build on Luhmann regarding media studies but that we when
talking about technical media must integrate the so called Toronto
school (Innis, McLuhan, Ong, Eisenstein, Meyrowitz etc.) in the analysis
 and I presented a possible framework to do that.

Best Regards
Jesper

--
Jesper Tække - MA. Ph.D.-Student - IT University of Copenhagen - Dept. of Digital Aesthetics & Communication -  Glentevej 67 - DK-2400 NV Copenhagen NW - Phone +45 3816 8888 - Direct +45 3816 8881 - Fax +45 3816 8899 - http://home16.inet.tele.dk/jesper_t/  - e-mail: jespert at it-c.dk