[Air-l] Taking stills from video games

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Sun Dec 5 08:28:47 PST 2004

> what version OS do you have? I have OS X and there a program called Grab
> in Utilities that can work for this - screen capture is the way to go, I
> would think.

unfortunately this tends not to work with full-screen games that use
DirectX or OpenGl - the OS doesn't really 'know' what's in the screen
buffer, so captures are hard to do.

a lot of the high-end games (half-life, quake1/2/3, Doom3, etc) have some
facility built into them for making "movies" of a session.  for some of
them, that may be the only way to get captures without placing a physical
camera in front of your display....

elijah