[Air-l] folder and file names as direct speech

David Palfreyman David.Palfreyman at zu.ac.ae
Sat Dec 11 21:27:10 PST 2004

Hi all,

In recent weeks I've noticed an interesting phenomenon on our large and
volatile university shared drive (a "scratch" drive accessible to all
faculty and students, which is wiped clean once a week).  Students are
using folder names and file names as public announcements.  For example,
a student might put a folder on the scratch drive called "Last Samurai
here plz", asking any student who has the film to upload it to there for
her to copy.  There's one today called "plzzzz we need the new version
of adobe photoshop".  There's also a folder called "movies", containing
(among other things) a text file with the following name:
"can u put ur requests in this (Text document and not folders) cuz we
dont know which folder contains something or not and have to enter each
ONE.txt"

People also use the drive for backing up their data for short periods
(e.g. for transfer between computers); last week I found a folder on the
scratch drive called "Please don't touch my documents".  Of course I
opened it :-) and found just one subfolder called "I'm warning you".
Opening that I got a single subsubfolder called "Shame on you", and
within that was one called "everything", which contained the student's
data.

Do institutions in other parts of the world have a drive like this?  Do
similar things happen there?

David Palfreyman
Dubai

:-D