[Air-l] Question about undergrad courses on computing for Biology

mboudour at upatras.gr mboudour at upatras.gr
Tue Dec 21 02:53:26 PST 2004

Hello Air,

Next semester I am going to teach an undergrad course on computing for
students of Biology in my University. Up to last year, I was just
coordinating a group of co-workers graduate students who were presenting
the elements and history of computing and the Internet together with
some very introductory lessons on how to use MS Office and to surf the net.

Since our students' computer literacy is becoming better every year and it
appears in the recent years that almost all of them already have acquired
a satisfactory level of computer skills (either by their own or in high
school), I was thinking to do something more interesting this year.

What I would like to do in this course might be an introduction to
elementary ideas in CMC and a first discussion of the social impact of new
media. Moreover, I was thinking of presenting some basic ideas of how the
configurations of distributed knowledge or e-science might be used by
Biology students and professionals.

So, I would like to ask you to give me your suggestions about possible
undergrad courses on computing for Biology or other relevant introductory
courses that you might know (and that are around basic CMC and impact or
e-science facts). Of course, net resources (links of syllabi, online
courses etc.) are mostly welcomed.

Best,

--Moses

  M.A. Boudourides