[Air-l] internet research and confidentiality

Oriana Solta Gatta ogatta1 at student.gsu.edu
Tue Dec 21 10:14:46 PST 2004

Hello again,
Thank you for the informative and thought-provoking responses to my questions.

I think I will need to alternately consider blogs both public information and information that requires consent to use.  Since my research will explore the interactions between blogging practices and identity construction, I intend to dialogue with bloggers (in addition to peforming a content and formal analysis of the blogs).  I think this dialogue should include asking permission to use the blogs and the communication between us, since the relationship between the blog and the individual's personal identity will be an important part of my analysis.

Elijah, I think looking at the "public information" wording of your IRB form will be helpful to the extent that it can explain the minimal risk bloggers would incur above and beyond everyday interaction.

Again, your insights are much appreciated,

Oriana Gatta
M.A. Candidate
Georgia State University