[Air-l] Collaborative online dictionaries (etc.)

Lauren Squires squires at virginia.edu
Sun Dec 12 11:02:35 PST 2004

Sincerest apologies if this has gone out before; I seem to
be having trouble getting it to go through.

Dear AoIRers,

I'm working on a project looking at open
content/collaborative reference sites, namely
English-language dictionaries, such as Urban Dictionary
and Wiktionary. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of other such online dictionaries,
which allow users themselves to define the entries? (I've
googled fruitlessly.)

2. Does anyone have any references (articles, chapters,
etc.) about collaborative reference projects? More
specifically about the possibilities they pose for
"democratization" (buzzword) of knowledge/language?

I can take responses off-list.

Thanks,
Lauren

ps - If there's something I'm missing here about the
difference between "collaborative," "open content," and
"wiki" (aside from the fact that the latter is branded),
I'd also be grateful for terminological clarification!

----
Lauren Squires
Linguistics Program
University of Virginia