[Air-l] Collaborative online dictionaries (etc.)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 19:21:34 PST 2004

Regarding issues surrounding democratization, this CfP
came to me a few days ago from the University of
Sydney. Cheers, Denise

Contretemps: An Online Journal of Philosophy
http://www.usyd.edu.au/contretemps

Call for Papers -- Contretemps 6: Democratic Futures

Calls for democracy today come from various
quarters—national,subnational, and supranational.
Never before has the idea of democracy been so
popular. Yet as the current attempts to impose
democracy at gunpoint in the Middle East bear out, a
functional democracy requires more than just the
formal presence of institutions—it requires a
liberated citizenry inspired by the dream of
democratic futures. This
issue of Contretemps invites provocative submissions
on the theme of democratic futures. What are the
futural dimensions of democratic experience, and how
does this temporality affect political life in
general? If the call for democracy is traversed by
dynamics of hope and becoming, how well are these
served by current political-economic institutions?
Does the future of democracy require a rethinking of
modern forms of political representation? How does the
futural dimension of democratic experience indicate a
horizon for other forms of democracy
to come? How might we imagine a democracy that
transcends nations, borders, even the limits of the
possible? How might the dream of democracy
enable us to renegotiate our familiar institutions,
public and private spaces, things and experiences,
allowing for a rethinking of the ‘we’ that is  shared?
Today, the politics of fear works to smother the
utopian impulses that fired the democratic movements
of the later twentieth century. What might be the
spark that reignites the passion for the
event of democracy, inspiring the reinvention of
democratic futures?

Deadline for submissions: 20th March 2005
Please direct all enquiries and submissions to
contretemps at mail.usyd.edu.au
For more information (including submission
guidelines), visit Contretemps at
http://www.usyd.edu.au/contretemps

=====
Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 - Mobile 0438 233 344
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
Presented! 2004 Conf. Association of Internet Researchers: www.aoir.org
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html