[Air-l] internet research and confidentiality

Oriana Solta Gatta ogatta1 at student.gsu.edu
Tue Dec 21 08:18:58 PST 2004

Hello,
I am now in the middle of filling out an IRB form for research that I intend to do on blogging practices, and it seems that any research done on "human subjects" must keep personally identifying information confidential.  This is a difficult issue, since one's username and blog title would identify an individual, but they may also be understood as published/public information.  If anyone has encountered a similar situation and can advise as to how I should proceed or who can offer research references that deal with this issue, that would be much appreciated.
Take care,
Oriana Gatta
Women's Studies M.A. candidate
Georgia State University