[Air-l] Re: internet research and confidentiality

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at umich.edu
Wed Dec 22 13:26:40 PST 2004

I think no one has mentioned copyrights because in the US, as I understand
it (IANAL, but I am a citizen), anything written down is copyrighted.

So, for instance, all usenet posts... oh, international issues...

In the US, *in theory*, we have the lovely "fair use" clause which allows
copying for scholarly use, commentary, etc.
More here:
http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

In brief...
"copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section,
for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching
(including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research,
is not an infringement of copyright...."

But I won't pretend to be an international law or copyright expert. I do
suggest we all read Lessig and Litman, though.

There are of course a whole host of related issues like the DMCA that have
kept us scholars in business (article writing) for some time.

ndp...