[Air-l] internet research and confidentiality

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Dec 22 06:21:32 PST 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> At 18:40 21/12/2004, Mark D. Johns wrote:
>> At 11:48 AM 12/21/2004, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>> Blogging, Webpublishing and Usenet posting are demonstrably public
>>> activities. '

they are clearly and demonstrably public if and only if there is no
assumption of privacy built into blog.  an assumption of privacy might
be having to login to view the blog, or being inside a password
protected system, or being in a community of blogs in which some data
is only viewable by certain members of the community.  those are case
that move the blog toward requiring confidentiality because the authors
have an assumption that some of their information is only for
friends/family/themselves, etc.   if there are no known access barriers
to the information, then yes, it is likely public, but we have to take
care because it will not always be obvious.
jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu
jeremy.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments