[Air-l] re:-my first post(reply to Ulla)

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:44:51 PST 2004

Eero,

I don't want to reiterate some of the responses to your posts though
much of what others have posted since your reply to me are arguments
that I would agree with. However, I wanted to add the following.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "hallucinating about cyberspace,"
but *because* my official affiliation is that of a Communication Scholar
I would agree that communication is about "speaking/writing clearly"
though that is not always the same as "simply." Even more so I would say
that communication is about creating meaning, shared meaning if
possible, and to me, this thread is about exactly that.

As a matter of fact, you initiation of this discussion shows a desire to
talk about questions like, "What is the Internet? Where does it come
from? Where is it going?" So, that apparently makes you the only one
among your fellow graduate students who is interested in these issues.
You expressed a vision about the future of the Internet. Would that then
qualify as "hallucinating about cyberspace" with a futuristic rather
than a past orientation?

Ulla
Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor