[Air-l] first post

J Sternberg netberg at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 3 10:45:00 PST 2004

Let me second Meghan's recommendation, and add that there's an even more
relevant article by my colleague Lance Strate that offers a
comprehensive and rigorous analysis of numerous definitions and
categories of cyberspace:

Strate, L. (1999). The varieties of cyberspace: Problems in definition
and delimitation. Western Journal of Communication, 63(3), 382-412.

As he explains it, "The phenomena in question is better understood as a
plurality rather than a singularity. As a collective concept, cyberspace
can then be defined as the diverse experiences of space associated with
computing and related technologies.  Thus, it would follow that we can
refer to the varieties of cyberspace." (p. 383)

For those interested in grasping the complexity and multi-dimensionality
of the online environments afforded by CMC, this article should be
required reading.

Janet Sternberg, Ph.D.
Fordham University
Media Ecology Association