[Air-l] Re: first post (AnInternet without Space)

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:24:12 PST 2004

Michele (and others) - out of curiosity, do you have an alternative suggestion? You
reject "space" and "place" and much of the terminology and research that is
connected to those meanings. I understand that you may have started this discussion
primarily because you feel flabbergasted (or something similar) and would love for
someone else to provide you with new terminology. But maybe you have an idea
already? Or at least a tendency? I'm curious to hear what you can suggest
constructively in addition to pointing out flaws of the space and place metaphors.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the "cyberspace" notion, tough I'm
aware that cyberspace is measured in quite different 'units' than offline space. But
then, I can even imagine Charles notion c), objects not floating in space (to me,
the universe is a perfect example of that, but then that gets confusing because we
refer to what's beyond the earth as "space" as well, when really it's a whole lot of
dark matter and dark energy that we don't even know what it is. It seems to be
matter so compressed that it acts as if it is nothing, sucking in other matter to
fill a void; now isn't that fascinating? Sorry, for the digression, but I'm an avid
Discover Magazine reader and - not being further educated on astrophysics - I tend
to believe what I read there.). I'd be grateful for alternative suggestions (instead
of space or place) to wrap my mind around.
Ulla

--
Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor