[Air-l] Do intranets reduce F2F interactions in organizations?

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Tue Feb 3 18:58:19 PST 2004

Sorry for such a determinist formulation, but it sums up the research
question some of my students are interested in, in the framework of my
course "ICT and human relationships". More precisely, the question is
wether there is a correlation between the increase of CMC in the workplace,
and a decrease of interpersonal, face to face communications between
co-workers (resulting in a discomfort for employees).

I have browsed litterature on Internet uses in organizational settings, and
failed to find anything about "socio-emotional aspects" of organizational
communication.

Any insight would be welcome,

Guillaume

Groupe de recherche sur les usages et cultures médiatiques (GRM)
Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des communications
C.P. 8888, Succ. C-V, Canada H3C 3P8 -Tél.: +1 514 987-3000, 3211#
Courriel: grm at uqam.ca  - Site WWW: http://grm.uqam.ca/