[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet without Space)

Jillana Enteen jillana at rcn.com
Tue Feb 3 15:55:30 PST 2004

I second Michelle.

Particularly when she writes:
Computer representations can also justify the
> perpetuation of physical but certainly not necessary or natural
> conditions
> by mirroring material circumstances. I believe that such spatial
> vernaculars are having a significant effect on our cultural situations.

I'm currently working on an essay about this topic, so I'll quote a
brief couple of paragraphs that outline my argument:  (Please don't
quote without my permission and proper citational credit):

		In its current state, the internet may be understood as a dynamic,
shifting network of computers and other electronic signal receptors
transmitting and/or receiving bits of digital information. Popular
conceptions of the Internet, however, depict this exchange of
information as delimiting virtual space. Privileging certain
conceptions of cyberspace over others is not a 'disinterested'
aesthetic strategy; the envisioning of space, like all forms of
rhetoric, inscribes particular relations of power (Foucault, 1979;
Soja, 1989; Davis, 1992). In this brief essay, I argue that current
procedures for identifying the location of electronic data, Uniform
Resource Locators in particular, situate the internet and the World
Wide Web (www) as geographically based systems with corresponding
geopolitical reference points in the physical world. Rather than
recognizing the networks formed through on-line data exchange, the
prevailing archeology of the I\internet and World Wide Web ties
individuals, not to mention data, to physical locations.
	Space is relevant to the internet when considering that vast sequences
of binary code are physically stored on hard drives and other
containers. It is the transfer of information, however, that
fundamentally characterizes the internet; connections between computers
are initiated. Code is exchanged. Data summoned. These connections are
rarely direct or one-to-one; a request for data by a user at a computer
will initiate responses from an unpredictable number of other computers
and information exchange portals in order to complete a process as
simple as viewing a text document or a personal home page. Janet Abatte
relates the reliance of the internet on packet switching; "Since the
nodes in a message switching system act independently in processing the
messages and there are no preset routes between nodes, the nodes can
adapt to changing conditions by picking the route that is best at any
moment" (Abatte 1999, 13). In fact, “best” routes are often
miscalculated based on previous paths of exchange, so predictions based
on efficiency or availability cannot chart actual data transmission.
The internet's "shape" is thus permanently in flux and illogical. It
performs movement without encapsulation, without borders, and with
neither concrete interiors nor exteriors.
	So why continue to think about the internet as space? Journalist
accounts, versions of computer-mediated communication in popular
culture, and foundational tracts by new media theorists such as Michael
Benedikt and Howard Rheingold. Each employs architectural and
territorial metaphors (Benedikt 1993) (Rheingold 1993). In Cyberspace,
Some Proposals, Michael Benedikt compiles a series of essays that
endorse the spatiality of electronic exchanges. Benedikt's own
contribution envisions connectivity as another form of architecture,
providing complex graphs and metaphors about movement in space and
fields. In the same collection, Marcos Novak defines cyberspace in this
same collection as "a completely spatialized visualization of all
information in global information processing systems" (Novak 1993,
225-254). Still considered a visionary, Howard Rheingold refers to the
internet as a frontier. As the title of Howard Rheingold's influential
1993 and recently reissued text The Virtual Community: Homesteading on
the Electronic Frontier [emphasis mine] suggests, Rheingold redeployed
America's sense of entitlement and masculinist spirit of conquest that
was outlined in manifest destiny and redeployed by NASA to garner
popular support for the space program, a rational that had
correspondingly fueled exploration, domination and colonial
exploitation by European nations. These images of colonization rescript
territorial incursion as an invasion at the expense of whom/whatever
pre-existed. These spatial metaphors translate into social subjugation.

	Much has been made of the affects of mapping on subjugation in terms
of the colonial project. Neil Smith and Cindi Katz report: “In so far
as mapping involves exploration, selection, definition, generalization
and translation of data, it assumes a range of social cum
representational powers, . . .the power to map can be closely entwined
with the power of conquest and social control” (Smith and Katz, 70). In
addition, Anne McClintock's account of the genealogies of imperialism
reveals the historical precedence and will to dominate inherent in the
project of mapping (McClintock 1995, 23). She writes: "The map is a
technology of knowledge that professes to capture the truth about a
place in pure, scientific form, operating under the guise of scientific
exactitude and promising to retrieve and reproduce nature exactly as it
is. As such, it is also a technology of possession, promising that
those with the capacity to make such perfect representations must also
have the right of territorial control" (27-8).

best wishes,
jillana
Jillana Enteen
jillana at jillana.net