[Air-l] possible panel/bof/roundtable on space

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:48:54 PST 2004

As I've followed this thread, it seems as though there
is considerable talk about space as a metaphor, and the
physical spaces taken up by servers and cables and such,
but what about the physical spaces occupied by the
people engaged in CMC, and how those spaces are arranged
in ways that may encourage or discourage social inter-
action?  There's some interesting work that's been done
in this area, including Alison Powell's excellent paper
on internet cafes presented in Toronto.  (I've done some
work on the arrangement of interior space around inter-
active technology, so this aspect of space is something
that I wouldn't want to see overlooked.)

And as someone who had the opportunity to study with a
great Harold Innis scholar, Jim Carey, I of course feel
compelled to point out that one can look at matters of
space without also considering matters of time ;-)

Holly

-----
Holly Kruse
Faculty of Communication