[Air-l] space

Kathleen Fitzpatrick kf004747 at pomona.edu
Thu Feb 5 14:29:28 PST 2004

Hi, Greg.  I've submitted a proposal for AOIR, entitled "The Myth of
the Global:  Imagined Geographies of Cyberspace," and am in the process
of completing the article that this paper will be drawn from.  In it,
as a means of interrogating the treatment of "space" in cyberculture
theory, with particular interest in that theory's relationship to
processes of globalization, I begin by tracing postmodernism's
obsessions with mapping and relating those to more recent, more
explicitly geographical considerations of network cartographies.  All
this theoretical and critical background is accompanied by readings of
the work of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, particularly as they
develop and alter their understandings of cyberspace from their early
novels (Neuromancer and Snow Crash) through their more recent fiction
(Pattern Recognition and Cryptonomicon).

I'd be happy to send you a more formal proposal for this article, or
the article itself once it's completed, if you're interested.  I'd also
be happy to send on any other information you might require.

Thanks for considering this special issue; I think it's a worthy topic,
and one that demands a deeper critical treatment.

Best,
Kathleen

--
Kathleen Fitzpatrick
Department of English/Media Studies Program
kfitzpatrick at pomona.edu