[Air-l] a question

Luiz Carlos Baptista lucabaptista at sapo.pt
Thu Feb 12 05:57:54 PST 2004

Yes indeed.
In comparing Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine with Joseph Jacquard's
loom, Ada Lovelace said:

"We may say most aptly that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical
patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves."

According to Ada, the Analytical Engine

"might act upon other things besides number, were objects found whose mutual
fundamental relations could be expressed by those of the abstract science of
operations, and which should be also susceptible of adaptations to the
action of the operating notation and mechanism of the engine."

It seems to be only fair to atribute to Ada Lovelace the primacy in regard
to the acknowledgment of the media-universal nature of computers.

Rgrds,

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista at sapo.pt
lucabaptista at hotmail.com