[Air-l] Re: [CITASA] origin of gibson quote

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 16 17:18:09 PST 2004

You Did, Eszter! And maybe one of your wonderful blog readers will
help.
Lorraine Uikens, _What Smart TrainersKnow_.

But the Uikens training source seems unlikely, and the citation itself is
weird p. 15):

... training needs is much more common in Europe than it is in the United
States (ASTD, 1999). Additionally, as author William Gibson (personal
communication, November 1999) likes to say, "The future is already here;
it's just unevenly distributed." Thus, a possible future ...

The "likes to say" sounds like someone told Ms. Uikens that Gibson has
said this.

BTW, if anyone is into this sort of chance, I strongly recommend Robert
Merton's "Shandian" account, _On the Shoulders of Giants_.

 Barry