[Air-l] Re: [CITASA] origin of gibson quote

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 17 08:32:07 PST 2004

Folks,

The Gibson quote hunt is mostly over.

Ren Reynolds and Ellen Pozzi both pointed me to an NPR Talk of The Town
(US radio) broadcast in which William Gibson uttered the following
sentence:

"As I've said many times, the future is already here. It's just not
very evenly distributed."

This is hard. This exists. It is citable.
However, note the "As I've said many times,..." which means there should
be earlier citations. Although I've stopped looking.

Here's the coordinates as supplied by Ren:

NPR Talk of the Nation
Timecode: 11min 55sec
Link: discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1067220

I found a different URL, from Ellen's info:
www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgld=5&prgDate=30-Nov-1999

Thanks to all those who contributed to the treasure hunt, even those who
insisted on the false Economist leads. (Economist was just attributing to
Gibson himself, without interviewing WG).

 Barry