[Air-l] further answer to danny

Ed Lamoureux ell at hilltop.bradley.edu
Wed Feb 18 04:16:57 PST 2004

Appears to me that Danny locates the nature of his problem in his last
post. With all due respect, I don't believe that Danny and
ethnographers share basic assumptions:

On Feb 18, 2004, at 6:03 AM, Danny Butt wrote:

> So I just don't see the point of denying (as I feel Maximillian is) or
> eliding (as I feel Don was) the power dynamic intrinsic in ethnographic
> research (and other social research as Ed suggested). The model is:
>
> 1) There's a question, framed in an academic context, which I as a
> researcher don't have the answer to (the answer is therefore exotic)
>
> The point I'm pressing becomes more obvious if I outline another way of
> conceiving of cross-cultural research:
>
> 1) There are issues identified by people who are excluded from
> knowledge
> infrastructures (and associated academic salaries) such as Universities

When I was trained in qualitative methods, an absolute commandment was
that relevant questions about meaning-in-use emerge from the research
as part and parcel of interaction with the subject cohort. I would
agree with Danny's assessment that when researchers bring in
pre-ordained constructs, qualitative work does not develop sensitive
findings.

However, I would strongly disagree in Danny's claim that this is the
way (good) ethnography proceeds. Quite the opposite: it is the sort of
thing that scientific qualitative work is supposed to guard against.
The claim Danny makes against ethnography, from my view as evidenced by
his characterization of it, is false.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Director, Multimedia Program and New Media Center
Associate Professor, Speech Communication
1501 W. Bradley
Bradley University
Peoria IL  61625
309-677-2378