[Air-l] February 2004 executive committee report

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Feb 16 17:59:18 PST 2004

February 16, 2004
Report of the a.o.i.r. executive committee
Prepared by Nancy Baym

AoIR Executive Committee
President: Nancy Baym
Vice-President: Matthew Allen
Secretary: Ulla Bunz
Treasurer: Benjamin Bates
Open Seats: Radhika Gajjala and Annette Markham
Appointed Seats: Monica Murero and Randolph Kluver
Student Seat: Leslie Tkach-Kawasaki
Publications Officers: Jeremy Hunsinger and Charlie Breindahl
Past President (ex-officio): Steve Jones
2004 Conference Chair: Kate O'Riordan
Ethics Working Group Chair: Charles Ess
AoIR Annual Chair: Mia Consalvo

1.  Introduction & General (Baym)

This is the place to find out what's going on in
the association. It's long, it's not always
thrilling, but it's always the best way for you
to keep up so please read it! Our executive
committee discussions are summarized in Ulla
Bunz's section of the report, 2004 Conference
Host Kate O'Riordan provides a Sussex overview in
the conference chair report below, Charles Ess
keeps us posted on ethics, and Mia Consalvo keeps
us up to date on the Annual. All this and more!
Read on...

2.  Executive Officers' Reports

2.1 President (Baym)

2.1.1  First, I apologize for not posting a
report in the last few months (not that I
received a lot of inquiries as to its
whereabouts!). We were in a minor lull through
the holidays and are now back to multiple ongoing
threads all day, every day. The main items on our
agenda have been the 2004 conference in Sussex
which is shaping up nicely (thanks in no small
part to the work of Kate O'Riordan and Sheizaf
Rafaeli), and getting ready to launch some
initiatives (stay tuned for opportunities to get
involved!). I've also been appreciating the
quality (if occassional wackiness) of recent
air-l discussions, which have reminded me of how
important aoir is in providing an
interdisciplinary and international space for
people from diverse perspectives to discuss
issues of common concern. Sometimes we talk past
one another, but I think that more often we learn
from one another. As always, if you have
suggestions about how AoIR can improve your life
as an internet researcher or have skills to offer
the association, please let me know!

2.2 Vice President (Allen)

2.2.1  [Matt sent in no report, but has been
actively participating in discussion on exec].

2.3 Secretary (Bunz)

2.3.1 	The exec committee continued to discuss an official proposal for
hosting the AoIR 2005 conference. The proposal from another potential host
was withdrawn. By unanimous vote (11/11) we voted *in favor* of the
proposed host site. The 2005 location will be
announced in Sussex. We are in dialogue with the
proposed hosting site about further details. We
are considering moving to a hired conference
management team which would change hosting
procedures. More information will be made
available once guidelines have been formulated.
If you are interested in the 2006 or 2007
conference organization, please get in touch with
Nancy Baym any time. Also, the exec continued to
discuss the issue of co-sponsorship and joint
conferences for future conferences. Final
conclusion was that overall we would prefer to
continue as the sole association responsible for AoIR conferences
though we are open to scheduling conferences back to back
with related associations so as to facilitate travel and give people the
opportunity to broaden their interests.

-	The exec discussed conference fees and
membership fees, comparing standards in different
disciplines and trying to combine conflicting
goals (i.e., raising conference fees to keep the
financial situation of the association in shape,
while hoping to attract researchers from less
affluent countries). At this point, no official
change in either membership fees or conference
fees was decided upon. It is possible that the
conference fees for AoIR 2004 will be higher than
in previous years, but we expect accommodations
to be significantly cheaper, so that total cost
should be the same or maybe even lower than for
the Toronto conference. Along the same lines, we
are considering setting up a support fund for
graduate students and people from non-OECD
countries. Conference funding issues in general
and for Sussex in specific were discussed as well.

-	The exec discussed whether to continue
with the Couch Award to be awarded during AoIR
conference and decided in favor.

-	The exec discussed various hotel-sharing
and cross-booking options for future conferences
to offer accommodation at cheaper hotels without
raising association default charges when not
meeting a minimum requirement of rooms booked at
the main conference hotel. It appears that two
different models can be followed in Europe and in
the US, and the exec is open to testing a new
model at a future AoIR conference in Europe.

-	The air-qualitativemethods at aoir.org has
been created. Contact Annette Markham for more
information.

-	Jeremy Hunsinger prepared the online
submission system, and members of the exec tested
it.

-	The exec discussed AoIR's possible
contributions to ASCUS (http://www.ascus.info/)
in addition to just putting our logo on their
site. We support their cause, but have no content
to offer them at this time.

-	The exec is in the process of discussing
the charges for what may become two new working
groups. One will concern journals options and one
will concern website options. Please watch for
further information, as we will request input
from both members and non-members in the near
future.

-	Along with conference planner Kate
O’Riordan and program planner Sheizaf Rafaeli,
decided to push the submission deadline back to
February 15.

-	Jeremy Hunsinger reported various spam
problems and access problems, but also reported
that everything seems to be under control again.

2.4 Treasurer (Bates)

2.4.1 Just finished sending off renewal reminders. Trying to keep up.

2.5 Open Seats (Gajjala, Markham)

2.5.1 Gajjala: nothing much to report - scrambling to meet AOIR deadlines:)

2.5.2 Markham: Contributed to discussions related
to current and future conferences, circulated the
conference call for papers as widely as possible,
focusing on non-academic fields of inquiry,
continued to generate interest in the qualitative
methods mailing list, and brainstormed with other
members of the executive committee about matters
related to the net presence of AOIR.

2.6 Appointed Seats (Murero, Kluver)

2.6.1 Murero:  I was involved in giving final
approvals for the keynote speakers' shortlist,
within the conference committee, and on the basis
of my previous experience in organizing
Maastricht's conference have given suggestions to
organizers about  opportunities of  sponsorships
for the annual AoIR conference in Sussex.

2.6.2 Kluver:  I have been participating in exec
discussions thoughtfully, if not loudly! Nothing
more to report.

2.7 Student Seat (Tkach-Kawaski)

2.7.1 * Drafting brief e-mail report to grad students through
the grad student list (to go out in about two days).
* Participating in discussions regarding the web-site.

2.8 Publications Officers (Hunsinger, Breindahl)

2.8.1 Hunsinger: I've been working peripherally
on conference matters as necessary. charlie and I
have been working very hard to manage spam and
virus's and let me assure you that any spam or
virus that seems to come from aoir.org most
likely does not originate from our servers,
likewise with spam.
other than that, I've been participating in exec
deliberations and other business.

2.8.2 Breindahl: Jeremy and I have spent lots of
time fighting worm-generated mail. MIME e-mail is
no longer posted directly to the list, but held
in a queue for closer scrutiny. We strongly
recommend posting in plain text.

Took part in various executive committee discussions as usual.

2.9 Past-President (Jones): I've been working on
getting bids from conference management agencies
for the purpose of planning and executing future
AoIR conferences.

2.10 2004 Conference Chair (Kate O'Riordan)

2.10.1 Internet Research: 5, 2004

Keynote Speakers
We are very pleased to report that Sara Kiesler and Nina Wakefield have
confirmed that they will attend as keynote speakers for IR:5.  We look
forward to their contributions to what promises to be an exciting
conference.

Submissions
We have received over 360 abstracts in response to the call for papers.
The programme chair Professor Sheizaf Rafaeli and a team of reviewers are
currently working on these and we should be able to confirm papers and
develop the programme in the coming months on the basis of this
enthusiastic response.

Registration
Some budget details are still being ironed out, but we hope to have
registration details online before Easter.

Challenges and Help
We are keen to encourage more volunteers to help with any aspect of the
conference planning.  Please contact us if you feel you could contribute.
Volunteers for reviewing and other programme roles can contact the
programme chair.  Practical issues, contributions to the web site and
onsite volunteers can contact the conference chair. Fund raising also
continues to be a significant challenge.

Thanks
Many thanks to all the people who have contributed to the conference so
far; especially those who continue to contribute to the conference
planning list (aoir-meet) and those of you who have volunteered to help
with the reviewing.  Thanks also to the people at the University of
Sussex who've put in so much hard work.  I look forward to continuing to
work with you all as the planning progresses.

2.11  AoIR Ethics Working Group (Charles Ess, Chair)

2.11.1  The AoIR ethics working committee has
discussed a recent case/study kindly provided by
two AoIR members.

Several lessons emerged from the case/study and our discussion - two of
which bear mention here.

One, significant problems can be avoided ahead of time if participants in a
multi-disciplinary research project spell out and discuss in detail their
methodological assumptions and ethical practices regarding publication of
research data.  (In the case we examined, two different disciplines involved
in the research project, it turned out, had more or less opposite views on
this point - leading to difficulties _after_ much of the project had been
completed, IRB approval received, etc.)

Two - our discussion further illustrated the differences among us with
regard to what we mean by "case study" (!).  For some of us (included Ess as
a philosopher), a case study can remain relatively general: for others, a
case study is necessarily much more finely detailed.
The problem is that in this instance - as in previous cases brought to the
committee for discussion - the understandable request for more detailed
information put the authors of our case in the unpleasant position of having
to say 'no' to such requests.  For a host of reasons, including issues of
professional courtesy and confidentiality, our colleagues were not able to
provide us with additional information, leaving the committee's discussion
somewhat stalled in mid-course.

The lesson learned: our project of collecting case studies that would help
provide a kind of positive analogue to case law (that might help researchers
develop their proposals and negotiate with their IRBs or equivalent
oversight authorities) will have to be modified.

The good news: we can still solicit from AoIR members more general accounts
of their experiences that focus on "Ethical tips / lessons learned" in
developing research proposals and negotiating with ethical oversight
authorities.

On behalf of the committee - we look forward to receiving these from you!
-- Charles Ess

2.12 AoIR Annual Editor (Mia Consalvo)

2.12.1:
The first volume of the AoIR Annual is in the final stages of camera copy
proofing, with the index now completed (thanks Leslie!) and final errors
corrected. It goes to the printer February 20 for production. The second
volume of the Annual is still in planning-- Matt and Mia are still reading
through submissions- there were over 120 papers to consider, and due to a
large volume of excellent manuscripts, decisions are difficult. We estimate
that we will be notifying everyone by the end of this month (February 28)--
and sorry about that delay.