[Air-l] Case justification for Internet research

Joseph W. Roberts roberts000 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 11:32:04 PST 2004

Hello all-

I have been having trouble finding literature that examines how to
justify a particular case within the context of internet research.  I am
finishing my dissertation on how a particular social movement (the
Committee for the Defense of Legitimate Rights/Movement for Islamic
Reform in Arabia) uses CMC to generate support and action for its
message against the Saudi government.  I have suggested that the case is
a synecdochical or revelatory case (using Snow and Trom, "The Case Study
and the Study of Social Movements") because the case reveals specific
evidence of a strategy for social movement action.  In other words, the
use of CMC by the movement is important and is overlooked in existing
discussions of media-movement relations.  I have one reader who is
skeptical of this logic.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Joseph W. Roberts, Ph.D., ABD
Instructor of Political Science

E-Mail:  nospam.roberts000 at earthlink.net