[Air-l] research ethics - tips

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:24:50 PST 2004

Colleagues:

Nancy Baym has suggested that I post at least a brief version of my monthly
report to the list at large, just in case a few people didn't quite read the
executive committee report all the way through ...  This is good advice, I
think - the lessons learned and directions we're taking may be helpful.

The AoIR ethics working committee has discussed a recent case/study kindly
provided by two AoIR members.

Several lessons emerged from the case/study and our discussion - two of
which I would like to highlight here

One, significant problems can be avoided ahead of time if participants in a
multi-disciplinary research project spell out and discuss in detail their
methodological assumptions and ethical practices regarding publication of
research data.
In the case we examined, two different disciplines involved
in the research project, it turned out, had more or less opposite views on
this point - leading to difficulties _after_ much of the project had been
completed, IRB approval received, etc.

In addition, the two different disciplines had different traditions and
expectations regarding the nature of shared authorship (or... _not_!).
Again, this is an important point to clarify at the beginning of research
rather than towards its conclusion.

Along these lines: we would be grateful to hear from AoIR members more
general accounts of their experiences that focus on "Ethical tips / lessons
learned" in developing research proposals and negotiating with ethical
oversight authorities.

On behalf of the committee - we look forward to receiving these from you!

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435

Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23