[Air-l] first post

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Tue Feb 3 03:59:19 PST 2004

And now that civility has returned (thanks, Randy!), let me add here:  I've
long been impressed with the stubbornness of the spatial metaphor, beginning
with early efforts in hypertext.  Despite the radical intentions of
poststructuralists (such as my friend and mentor George Landow and others)
and affiliated postmodernists to overcome what were argued to be artificial
boundaries of space and time, spatiality just didn't seem to go away.

In addition to the points Jonathan makes, I would add an epistemological one
that has yet to surface.  Dear ol' Kant argued in the Critique of Pure
Reason that human beings are basically built in such a way that we shape all
of our sensory impressions through the frameworks of space and time.  He
argued this on the basis of simple thought experiments (inspiring Einstein
and Bohr a century or so later), e.g.
a) can you imagine a space with items in it? (sure)
b) can you imagine a space with no items in it? (sure)
c) can you imagine items with in no space, with no space to "contain" them?

If you have trouble answering "c" with yes, be comforted.  In quantum
mechanics, for example, where there _are_ entities that exist in a 'space'
of zero dimensions, no one claims to be able to imagine what they might
"look like".  (Nicely enough, the physicists can simply trust the
mathematics at that point...)

Presuming your answer to "c" is no - then this suggests that space is indeed
a necessary condition/framework for our constructing/imagining our knowledge
of the world.  (Contra the jabs of some postmodernists against putatively
excessive rationality in Kant, the old Chinese of Königsberg developed a
sufficiently strong account of imagination in human knowing as to inspire
the foundations of German Romanticism.)

The stubbornness of spatiality as a metaphor, despite some of the best
efforts by some of the best people to go beyond it, has seemed to me to be
to at least be consistent with Kant's point.
But consistency, of course, is not confirmation. Has anyone reviewed the
literature - not just in CMC but also cognitive science, etc. - to see if
anyone has tried to examine this issue from an empirical point of view,
i.e., to study controlled efforts to test whether or not most of us are
indeed equipped with such spatial and temporal frameworks as necessary
conditions of our knowledge?  Whatever the outcomes of such studies, they
would directly contribute to this discussion as well.

Cheers,
charles ess