[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet Without Space/reply to Elijah)

Kevin Tharp k.tharp at cqu.edu.au
Tue Feb 10 15:52:17 PST 2004

ET said: "I have ...<snip>"

Well done, I am sure.  But even in sports statistics are not the only
thing to consider.  Take my attendance at a baseball game as an
instance.  I do not know or care in most cases what a persons batting
average is, or how well they have done in certain circumstances against
certain players on certain fields.  These statistics are readily
available, but they do not mean anything to me, I simply don't care
except as a curiosity.

To me, the baseball game is about the camaraderie, the time spent with
friends and family tailgating in the parking lot and in the stadium.  I
love the smell of the field, and the hot dogs, the seventh inning
stretch and yes, the beer.  The most important thing about a baseball
game to me, is that I go with my children, and we are spending time
together and creating memories that will last for a lifetime.  If that
is what you call hallucinating, then bring it on, because that is what
baseball is to me. (For our Commonwealth friends, please replace
baseball with cricket and hot dog with meat pie).

I do not begin to suggest that the statistics are not a big part of the
game.  But please don't suggest to me that my experience of going to a
baseball game is somehow not "real".  Now I would extend the same
argument to this discussion that started with the question of
cyberspace.  The richness of research will come from the diversity of
research into the same phenomenon.

Regards,
Kevin W. Tharp