[Air-l] re: ethnography

Slater,D D.Slater at lse.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 08:07:22 PST 2004

Have to say that I simply do not recognize Danny's 'model' (or model number 1). Or, rather, I recognise it as a purely bad model which is in practice almost as impossible as a purely good one.

Questions about things like ICTs and poverty are not framed within a purely academic context (or you can only do this by ignoring just about everything that is going on around you). My current questions in Ghana (and just tell me to shut up about my own research when you get sick of it - it's just easier for me to respond concretely) are framed by an incredible mix of discourses(which are in constant dialogue with each other) including governmental, NGO, academic, business, activists, etc, etc. And quite frankly, 'the question' is pretty broad, broad enough to contain and respond to all the themes and ideas that seem worth pursuing, which changes over time and in response to the project itself. Major consituencies in Ghana are in constant debate over ICTs and development - eg, a daily subject is, can Ghana skip industrialization and move straight from agricultural economy to information economy. I've had these conversations in slum households. For all kinds of reasons, the questions being asked here are not so very different from the ones being asked in my seminars back home (or in my own living room). When I stress ethnography as dialogue (including disagreement) that's partly what I mean - we are in some respects living very much in the same world, with similar issues, though we might (sometimes) put them rather differently.

I don't know any ethnographer who looks at people as 'others' who have answers to 'our' questions. Partly because the point is to find out what 'their' questions are; partly because it is not usual to put ethnography into a Q/A format. The metaphor is more pictorial - what picture is emerging as to what is going on. We've spent much of the last two weeks here trying to figure out the best ways to have conversations about household finances. This doesn't mean finding the right button to press to release the information I want. It means learning about how people calculate, categorize, worry, aspire, plan, etc. You don't find 'answers'; you learn to draw. The question of representation starts at the very beginning.

As to stage 3, yes I bloody well better take responsibility for how I present that picture, and we all agree that I have huge power to paint as I like and sign my name to it. I'm tempted to say firstly that at least unlike other methods it is *my* name at the bottom; I can't pretend, as in other approaches, that my picture is the result of an objective technical process (I would love to see some of the surveys I've been involved in presented as ethnographies are, with all the fuck-ups, guess work, bodges, etc, all itemised). But because an ethnography is presented that way, it is saying - 'dispute me', challenge me, tell a different story. As to how that story relates to the people I am representing: dunno. I predict that some Ghanaian academics will disagree and others will find it useful; that some activists will agree and others disagree, on incredibly varied grounds. That it will be irrelevant or incomprehensible to most of those people I did my primary research with, but that that is not the only point; that within my own funding agency some the report will be either ignored or slammed or championed as a symbol of new ways of knowing, etc. etc.

I'm not saying anything new am I? Pretty obvious: I'll write a lot of different things for very different audiences with lots of different upshots.

Perhaps a more interesting answer is that in my last project, with UNESCO, Jo Tacchi and I developed an approach called 'ethnographic action research' (you have to have a brand in development work these days) which involved integrating research within the project development of the nine projects in South Asia we were working with. This incorporated a basic toolkit of methods framed in a generally ethnographic way. And implemented through researchers who had no ethnographic background and were simultaneously development workers. We supported them through training workshops and field visits, as well as online dialogues (website, chat, listserve). Very mixed results, but basically: 1. ethnnography made complete sense to people, and was most effective in valorizing people's knowledge and their ways of knowing - instead of throwing out what they knew through experiences because it was not 'objective' or survey based, ethnography helped them structure their knowledge and methods - a conversation with a computer user, when written up as fieldnotes and brought within some frame of analysis, was no longer just a conversation or experience, it was part of a knowledge project that was in tune with developing their development project.

2. Yes, getting the researchers involved in the analysis of all this material is difficult and often feels to them remote from the practicalities of project development, but at least there is a structure to talk about what conclusions seem to make sense, and tryin gout different languages for the analysis.

3. To use the dreaded term 'capacity building', as the project comes to a finish we are leaving behind a group of trained and experienced researchers into ICTs and poverty who can do whatever they want with these experiences and ideas. Some want to move into postgraduate work, some into more develo0pment work, etc, etc. They will develop their ideas and approaches in whatever way they think is appropriate.

Final point - I get worried about the idea of thinking of people as either owning or excluded from knowledge or 'knowledge infrastructures', as you put it below. It's a bit like older thinking about the digital divide, haves or have nots. Without eliding power issues, isn't it dangerous to replicate these black and white metaphors (I use the racial language advisedly) because they simply replicate the absolutes of oppressors and victims, masters and slaves, powerful and powerless. I have only to walk down the street here to be fully aware of poverty and lack of power. But I have only to get into conversations on any of these streets to learn about the knowledge infrastructures and knowledge strategies that people are using and building on. The job is to see how to help that building, not to convince people that they are helpless victims and that we feel the proper guilt - that is simply disempowering.

don

Don Slater
Reader in Sociology, London School of Economics

Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Tel: +44 (020) 7849 4653
Fax: +44 (020) 7955 7405

 http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/slater