[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet without Space)

Michele White mwhite at wellesley.edu
Tue Feb 3 16:04:01 PST 2004

Thanks to Ben and other colleagues for the developing citations. I have
read Harrison and Dourish’s “Re-Place-ing Space: The Roles of Place and
Space in Collaborative Systems” as well as other works. I believe that
place is not a better term than space. As Dourish suggests, “places
largely exist within spaces.” There may also be reasons to be concerned
about the idea that: “Physically, a place is a space which is invested
with understandings of behavioural appropriateness, cultural expectations,
and so forth.” I would be concerned that to theorize the Internet or
particular technologically mediated settings as “places” is to suggest
that they are geographically situated and to relate a variety of
practices, conflicting desires, and diverse users to a singular culture or
experience.

All my best,
Michele