[Air-l] more net => more offline

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Wed Feb 4 13:24:47 PST 2004

I am also convinced by the many evidences that e-sociability doesn't
replace classic forms of sociability and that people with mediated
communications tend to be generally the ones with the larger personal
networks.

However, what if we restrict the analysis to work hours? If the time-budget
is fixed? It's been established that groupware uses are time-consuming. So,
it would be logical to make the inference that more "intranet
communication" means less communications the "older forms", wouldn't be?
Then, the question is wether the relationships with co-workers, and sense
of belonging to a group inside the organization, might be affected.

Again, thanks for those references. They provide a basis for reflexion and
discussion. But I would be surprise not to find any allegation of the
"negative impacts of CMC inside organizations" in the litterature!

Guillaume