[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet Without Space)

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Wed Feb 4 15:48:45 PST 2004

Sorry if I missed this in the volume of fascinating debate - but I
wonder about the space-time relationship of the internet-based
interactions factors into the construction of the special metaphors we
so easily use.

That is, while email is an asynchronous form of communication and IM is
a synchronous one - one can have conversations using either in which
case the time between messages stands in some relation to the physical
distance (if known) between the individuals / group. Similarly does one
'feel' closer (possibly turning the received metaphor into sensational
expression) to a web site or interface that is more responsive?

To have a go at casting this in ANT terms, the temporal characteristics
of the software artefacts we are using must contribute some how to the
way that these metaphors are constructed and maintained.

Ren
www.renreyolds.com
terranova.blogs.com

...still trying to work out how all this stands in relation to Kant's
ideas of the necessary nature space(ness) in his Epistemology and would
welcome more posts following up Charles's fascinating thoughts on the
matter - if you have the urge you have a reader :)