[Air-l] a call to activisim from Robert McChesney

Ed Lamoureux ell at hilltop.bradley.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:49:31 PST 2004

a note from McChesney.
I'm using his book in a 400-level multimedia course I'm teaching; he's
doing a guest teleconference with us. I don't consider the message spam
. . . though as a call to specific action over a specific cause, it
might be taken as boarderline by some of the kind folks on this list.

I hope that you don't find the intrusion .  . . well ...  intrusive.

thanks

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert McChesney <info at mediareform.net>
> Date: February 11, 2004 11:44:18 AM CST
> To: info at mediareform.net
> Subject: Tell Congress to stop what's really indecent about the media:
> consolidation.
>
> Congress is having high-profile hearings to debate the crisis in
> American media.
>
> Media concentration? Nope -- indecency.
>
> Spurred on by Janet Jackson's Super Bowl antics, Congress has decided
> to try to address the issue of television's 'race to the bottom.'
> Their answer? Increasing token fines on broadcasters that push the
> envelope with explicit content.
>
> We need your help to get Congress to focus on what's truly obscene:
> Big Media getting any bigger.
>
> The Super Bowl half-time show is just the latest example of synergy
> gone wild -- CBS (which aired the game) and MTV (which produced the
> half-time show) are corporate cousins in the Viacom media empire. And
> last summer, the FCC passed rules that will allow media giants like
> Viacom to get even bigger, narrowing the range of debate and stifling
> minority and independent voices. It has to stop.  Members of Congress
> are focused on the media today--we've got to tell them what really
> matters to us.
>
> We need you to call your representative in Congress. Urge him or her
> to co-sponsor House Joint Resolution 72, the resolution of disapproval
> that would roll back the new FCC rules. We need you to tell them that
> the real solution to the problems of our media has to address the root
> cause: the growing concentration of media ownership.
>
> Click here for your representative's information and detailed
> instructions: http://www.mediareform.net/callcongress.php
>
> Forward this to everyone you know who cares about fostering a truly
> democratic media.
>
> ----------------
> Last summer, the Federal Communications Commission passed rules that
> would allow media giants like Viacom to get even bigger, not only
> speeding along the 'race to the bottom' but narrowing the range of
> debate, focusing on celebrity over policy, reducing elections to horse
> races, stifling minority viewpoints, and barraging us with
> advertising.
>
> Millions of Americans last year told Congress and the FCC that we're
> asking for more trouble if we allow the FCC's relaxation of media
> ownership limits to stand. That decision allows a single company to
> buy multiple TV stations, eight radio stations, the biggest newspaper,
> and the cable system in a given community. Media concentration has led
> to less children's programming, cuts in newsroom staff, a decline in
> minority-owned media, and the stifling of independent voices.
>
> Congress tried and failed to solve this problem in 2003.  We cannot
> allow them to ignore the issue in 2004.  It's up to us to get our
> representatives to commit to truly democratic policies--like reversing
> the FCC's media ownership decision.

> [...]
Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Director, Multimedia Program and New Media Center
Associate Professor, Speech Communication
1501 W. Bradley
Bradley University
Peoria IL  61625
309-677-2378