[Air-l] hallucinating cyberspace -origins

jespert jespert at itu.dk
Thu Feb 12 02:15:18 PST 2004

Dear All,

The first universal concept of space was a poetical or mythological one:

chaos
 known from Hesiod. According to Jammer (who has been mentioned
on this list before)
chaos
 implies an idea of terror and fright and is
not a scientific notion. Like Homer, Hesiod describes a world where a
flood becomes alive and all nature becomes animated. The concept

cyberspace
 invented by Gibson (1986) is a poetical one, too, like
Hesiod´s notion of space (not myth but science fiction - but maybe that
is almost the same because you can postulate that most of our common
knowledge we have about technology is from science fiction) and implies
an idea of terror where machines live as cognisant beings and where
humans haunt this space as memory chips. As I show in my article

cyberspace as a space parallel to geographical space
 the philosophical
tradition has transformed the idea of space into an analytical useful
concept, both as physical space, as a form of intuition and as a
phenomenological space, that we also can use to describe cyberspace.

Best Regards
Jesper