[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet Without Space)

Rhiannon Bury welshwitch75 at rogers.com
Thu Feb 12 07:10:54 PST 2004

I too enjoyed Don's thought-provoking post and wholeheartedly agree with
the main point that we can't just come up with theories about
"cyberspace" with no context of use (1990s "cyberbabble", heheh, I've
have to remember that one).

That said, I'm uncomfortable what seems to be the resurrection of the
old theory/practice binary. Like Lori and Radhika, I do ethnographic
work, but I'm also a  poststructuralist.  I certainly understand Don's
concerns about imposing "northern strands" (I think those were his
words) of theories in non-western contexts. But, what is the
alternative? Taking participants'  experiences and accounts as
unadulterated "truth" that we have "discovered" through our research?
Our own stories and that includes our theories, are always part of the
frame. As Deborah Britzman say, ethnographic accounts are "overinvested
in second hand memories." As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I use
Foucault's conceptualization of the heterotopia.  It was my data that
led to me to work with this notion, not the other way around. Yet, the
participants would not necessarily describe their "spaces" as
heterotopic and might think it's just a bunch of academic whooey for all
I know (but just be too polite to say so.)

Rhiannon