[Air-l] origin of gibson quote

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 16 11:36:41 PST 2004

Folks, I can use a little bibliographic help.

Wenhong Chen and I are at the end of writing a Digital Divide paper for
the Blackwell Companion on Social Stratification. We want to use a quote
attributed to William Gibson,

"The future is already here; it's just unevenly distributed."

Now the quote itself is widely posted on the web.

But never with a specific reference to a page number.

Sometimes, a web poster will say "As William Gibson said in
_Neuroromancer_, `The future is ...' But I went thru Neuroromancer
yesterday and couldn't find it (Ace original edition, 1984).

Can anyone pin down the exact reference for this quote. Or is this an
urban legend, oft repeated but never sourced? In which case we shall say
"(attributed to William Gibson)"

 Barry