[Air-l] Summer Fellowships: Culture and Technology

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 17 12:44:26 PST 2004

I'm forwarding a forward as I think this might appeal to some of you.
Ulla Bunz

> >Summer Fellowship Call for Projects
> >Vectors: Journal of Culture and Technology in a Dynamic Vernacular
> >
> >The Institute for Multimedia Literacy (IML) at the University of Southern
California'Äôs Annenberg Center for Communication is pleased to announce a
Fellowship program for summer 2004 to foster innovative research for its new
electronic publishing venture, Vectors: Journal of Culture and Technology in a
Dynamic Vernacular.

> >Vectors is a new, international electronic journal dedicated to expanding the
potentials of academic publication via emergent and transitional media. Vectors
brings together visionary scholars with cutting-edge designers and technologists
to propose a thorough
> >rethinking of the dynamic relationship of form to content in academic research,
focusing on the ways technology shapes, transforms and reconfigures social and
cultural relations.

> >Vectors will adhere to the highest standards of quality in a strenuously reviewed
format. The journal is edited by Tara McPherson and Steve Anderson and guided by
the collective knowledge of a prestigious international board.

> >About the Fellowships
> >¬... Vectors Fellowships will be awarded to up to six individuals or teams of
collaborators in the early to mid- stages of development of a scholarly
multimedia project related to the themes of Evidence or Mobility. Completed
projects will be included in the first two issues of the journal beginning in
fall 2004. Vectors will feature next-generation multimedia work, moving far
beyond the 'Äòtext with image'Äô format of most online scholarly publications.

> >Fall 2004: Evidence
> >¬... The first issue of the journal will be devoted to a broad
> >reconsideration of the notion of Evidence and its multiple
> >transformations in contemporary scholarship and digital culture.
> >
> >Spring 2005: Mobility
> >¬... The second issue will be devoted to exploring the shifting concepts and
practices of Mobility in contemporary culture, creatively limning the
possibilities and limits of such a concept for understanding 21st century life.

> >About the Awards
> >All fellowship recipients will participate in a one-week residency June 21-25,
2004 at the Institute for Multimedia Literacy in Los Angeles, where they will
have access to the IML'Äôs state of the art, Mac-based production facilities.
Fellows will have continuing access to work in collaboration with world-class
designers and the IML'Äôs technical support and programming team throughout the
project'Äôs development.

> >The residency will include colloquia and working sessions where participants will
have the chance to develop project foundations and collectively engage relevant
issues in scholarly multimedia. Applicants need not be proficient with new media
authoring; however, evidence of successful collaboration and scholarly innovation
is desirable. Fellowship awards will include an honorarium of $2000 for each
> >participant or team of collaborators, in addition to travel and accommodation
expenses.

> >About the Proposals
> >We are seeking project proposals that creatively address issues related to the
first two themes of Evidence and Mobility. While the format of the journal is
meant to explore innovative forms of multimedia
> >scholarship, we are not necessarily looking for projects that are about new
media. Rather, we are interested in the various ways that new media suggest a
transformation of scholarship, art and communication practices and their
relevance to everyday life in an unevenly mediated world.

> >Applicants are encouraged to think beyond the computer screen to consider
possibilities created by the proliferation of wireless technology, handheld
devices, alternative exhibition venues, etc. Fellows will also have the
possibility to imagine scholarly applications for newly developing technologies
through productive collaborations with scientists and engineers. Projects may
translate existing scholarly work or be entirely conceived for new media. We are
particularly interested in work that re-imagines the role of the user and seeks
to reach broader publics while creatively exploring the value of collaboration
and interactivity.

> >Proposals should include the following:
> >¬... Title of project and a one-sentence description
> >¬... A 3-5 page description of the project concept, goals and outcome (this
description should address questions of audience, innovative uses of
interactivity, address and form, as well the project'Äôs contribution to the
field of multimedia scholarship and to contemporary scholarship more generally)
> >¬... Brief biography of each applicant, including relevant qualifications and
experience for this fellowship
> >¬... Full CV for each applicant
> >¬... Anticipated required resources (design, technical, hardware, software,
exhibition, etc.)
> >¬... Projected timeline
> >¬... Sample media if available (CD, DVD, VHS (any standard), or NTSC Mini-DV);
for electronic submissions, URLs are preferred but still images may be sent as
e-mail attachments if necessary)

> >Please submit to:
> >
> >Vectors Summer Fellowships
> >Institute for Multimedia Literacy
> >746 W. Adams Blvd.
> >Los Angeles, CA 90089
> >e-mail: vectors at annenberg.edu
> >
> >Priority will be given to applications received by March 12, 2004. Fellowship
recipients will be notified in mid-April.

> >Additional Information
> >
> >For additional information about the Vectors Summer Fellowship Program, please
consult our informational website at

--
Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor