[Air-l] Gibson on Gibson

Alex Kuskis akuskis at ican.net
Fri Feb 20 07:10:08 PST 2004

I forgot I had this, which I posted to the Media Ecology list a couple of
months ago.
I post it here in connection with Barry Wellman's recent search for the
source of the William Gibson quote......Alex Kuskis

William Gibson: No Maps for These Territories (2001)

I rented a DVD (it is also available in VHS) from our local Blockbuster
outlet the other day that I recommend as being McLuhanist and media
ecological. This documentary focuses on writer William Gibson discussing how
he coined the word "cyberspace", ruminating about media as extensions, as
well as our media-saturated world (which is what the title refers to). Here
is a description:

Mark Neale directs this prolonged conversation with William Gibson (famed
science-fiction novelist and creator of the term "cyberspace") from the back
of Gibson's limousine as they take a cross-country odyssey over nameless
highways going no place in particular. The cameras roll as Gibson talks
about his own personal philosophies, experiences, and opinions about the
media-saturated culture in which we live. The conversation provides a
compelling glimpse at the radical, genius writer whose 1984 novel
NEUROMANCER forever changed the concept of the Internet, propelling the
author to the forefront of the media explosion of the late 20th Century.
Neale, a music video director, employs hyper speed editing and jarring
visuals that combines various media images with excerpts of Gibson's novels,
conveying a conceptual journey through the unchartered territory of William
Gibson's mind. This slick and stylish visual trip also features interviews
with writers Jack Womack and Bruce Sterling, readings from U2's Bono and The
Edge, and music from Tomandandy.

Here is Amazon.com's listing:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000D0YT5/103-9346991-9038241?v=glance

And here is a review of the film:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1107084/reviews.php?critic=all&sortby=default&page=1&rid=247396

It is quite worth the price of a rental..............Alex