[Air-l] Re: ethnography

Slater,D D.Slater at lse.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 08:08:22 PST 2004

Hi,

I've been out of webshot for a few days, so apologies for responding to
several day old postings on this thread. But I did want to pick up a few
points. Although it seems to have moved into more generic  (and older)
critiques of enthnography, I do think these issues are crucial for
internet research specifically.

Firstly, I agree with much of what Danny wrote, and in particular on
being reflexive - and positively *dealing with* - the power relations
that constitute our projects of knowledge and representation. If I
elided these, as someone else said, it was because I got caught up in
polemics.

On the other hand, I get worried by phrases like 'the inextricability'
of ethnography from colonial mmissionary project. If we accept that all
research methodologies constitute and are constituted within power
relations, and are therefore political, we also have to accept that all
methodologies are political strategies which have to be rethought in
shifting political contexts, as strategic interventions - in order to
see what will make people's lives better *now*. NO method ensures
political purity or non-complicity in power, none can elide these
relations. You just deal with them differently in different
circumstances. I am not working as an anthropologist under a colonial
regime; I am working as a sociologist under a donor dominated
neo-imperialism of Washington consensus neo-liberalism, which is
dominated by the positivist metrics of audit, indicators, accountancy
and globalized discourses of development and information economy. I have
to add that all this also dominates the thinking of so many of the
Southern intellectuals, academics and activists who are the Ghanaians or
Indians or Trinidadians who do have the power to represent themselves in
international spaces (hence some of my talk about disagreeing with the
people I work with). So obviously I come to exactly the opposite
conclusion from Danny: surveys offer *NO* possibibility for people to
contest knowledge projects, and - even worse - they produce
self-legitimated representations of people, in the form of unchallenged
numbers and recommendations, which become unquestioned tools in global
governance by IMF, World Bank, etc, etc. My own own funder has huge
leverage at the heart of the Ghanaian government through control of a
big block of centrally donated money. I promise you now that they will
not get from me a single number or summary statement from one of their
bloody forms that they can continue to assimilate into their machinery
of intervention. I will give them difficult data based on how different
people think about themselves.

Two days ago, Janet (my Ghanaian colleague) and I were sitting with a
poor urban family doing an unstructured interview that took about two
hours to go through all the ways they communicate with people
(technologies, time, cost, content, etc) plus long conversations about
their household finances, problems etc. At the end they asked us if we
had anything to do with the guys who had come by the day before with a
survey form, who spent the whole time ticking off boxes next to
questions that were standardized and made little sense to them. In the
conversation that followed, it was abundantly clear that *they* were
articulating the difference between a form that demanded they fit into
imposed categories, and a conversation in which we explored their lives
from within their own categories. And that it was *our* job to work out
how to conceptually organise this material afterwards, rather than to
force an organization onto it before we even started. They were
extremely clear, though using a different language, that they felt
misrepresented by the survey guys but that Janet and I were at least
trying to understand. And they were most reassured by the fact that we
were going to be working in Maamobi for at least a year.

Finally, they asked the question that everyone here asks at the end of
any research encounter - what will all this do for us? What are you
going to do with it all? We explained, as usual, that we don't have any
money to give out ourselves but that so much of the spending on ICTs in
Ghana as elsewhere is done without any detailed understanding of either
how poverty works or how people communicate in these places. Yes, they
said, no one bothers to talk to them.

Internet research has been too dominated by global ideas that can easily
become globalizing, especially when the big development agencies are all
buying in to Castellian-style network society metaphors. These ideas -
like the equally globalizing poverty discourses - are already inscribed
in generic survey and evaluation tools. Is it any wonder that I feel we
should cling to ethnographic approaches which in principle seek to
represent people at least through a dialogue between 'their' terms and
'ours', and which at least has a long history of grappling reflexively
with these issues - even if they are of course insoluble within a world
of power - and not pretending they are not there.

Don

PS - in personal terms, the point I most relate to, below, is trying not
to confuse my own desire to know with the need to know what will
actually change something. Quite simply, it's all so bloody interesting,
but that's not (or shouldn't be) the point.

Don Slater
Reader in Sociology, London School of Economics

Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Tel: +44 (020) 7849 4653
Fax: +44 (020) 7955 7405

 http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/slater